Sponsors of the 2010 Toyota Enviro Outreach

Saturday, October 3, 2009

How big is this place called Africa?

Tete... So we woke up in Tete. Remember, we arrived in the dark and I didn’t really see much. It’s the first time in my life I’ve seen such a big stretch of water. We slept at a place called Chico’s on the western banks of the Zambezi. Now that’s water. It makes the Vaal River look like a water feature in a Melville garden.

But just going back a bit, Chico’s makes the meanest, bestest peri-peri chicken in the world. And believe me, I’m a peri kind of dog. Bon Vindo they said when we arrived. Aw c’mon, don’t tell me you didn’t get that? Welcome!

This Chico’s has a great bar with a cool view of the Zambezi. Check out the picture. Check out the National Luna Fridge in the front. Cool view. Get it?

This morning after breakfast we pulled out of Chico’s. Boa Viagem all the guys said, waving us goodbye. Yes (sigh) that means farewell. But I’ll be back. Hasta la Vista... Oops wrong language.

After about three hours of driving I started wondering how big this continent really is. To while away the kilometres, I started to talk to Gerhard Groenewald. He’s a great guy. The main man. In charge of the Toyota Outreach. I like riding with him. He handles that Toyota Fortuner so smoothly, I never wake up when he swerves between potholes.

I mentioned to him that that piece of Zambezi I saw must surely be the biggest piece of water in the world. He let rip with that double bass chuckle of his. What? I wanted to know.

“Buddy, dear Buddy,” he answered. “Wait till we get to Cape Maclear in Malawi. Then you’ll see big. Some people call it the Malawi Inland Sea.”

Thanks to the immense thoroughness of the bureaucrats we, yet again, didn’t manage to get to Cape Maclear in daytime. In front of me where I am lying next to the fire, I see this total darkness, stretching as far as the eye cannot see. They tell me it is the lake.

I’ll see in the morning, and if it is true, I’ll post a picture.

This is Buddy barking off.




Download GPS Tracks for today: Google Earth Format & GPX Format

No comments:

Post a Comment