Sponsors of the 2010 Toyota Enviro Outreach

Sunday, October 4, 2009

The transit is over.

Photo 1: Lake Malawi is not the biggest piece of water in the world. Apparently...
Photo 2: Still in transit from Cape Maclear to Kasungu National Park
Photo 3: A view with a room at Kasungu
Photo 4: Amazing new Howling Moon tents!

Well Gerhard didn’t lie. When I woke up this morning I saw the biggest piece of water in the world. Lake Malawi. So I said so. Gerhard started chuckling again. Apparently the sea is bigger. I’ll go there one day, soon.

For now, however, we packed up again to start the last leg of our transit. All the way to Lilongwe airport where we picked up Frank Carlisle, the most important man on the trip. He’s in charge of the food. I had a long chat with him on the next leg of the journey to make sure he understands my diet. He understands. But I must say Elmarie, Theresa, Gwynette, Wilna and Marguerite did a great job without the chief of cuisine on board.

Wow, another great thing happened today. We didn’t have to cross a border and managed to set up camp in daylight. Maybe it should have been better if we arrived after dark, because I’ve seen these footpaths coming up from the water in front of us. There are no fences around the camp. Nada (oops, where not in Mozambique, anymore). I thought it might be locals, but were told it’s a hippo path right in front of where we are supposed to sleep. Rather, where the people are going to sleep. I’ve been told hippos are the biggest killers of all the animals in Africa. No hippo will get hold of me. I’ve also been told there is an elephant bull in musk, wiping out whatever comes in front of him. Aw well, I guess I’ll have to be brave. Be a watchdog. Gee, some of these guys can snore.

So, after travelling 2394km kilometres, we are at the most northern point of our expedition in Kasungu National Park in Malawi, bordering Zambia. Tomorrow the real reason for travelling all this way starts. We are going to meet up with some former students of the SAWC and start bar-coding trees. I think I will be helping the tree people, because I am Buddy and I can sniff a good tree a mile away.

This is Buddy barking off.




Download GPS Tracks for today: Google Earth Format & GPX Format

2 comments:

  1. Was lekker om vir Cobus vandag te hoor!! Hoop julle sateliete trek verder saam met julle. Lekker om saam met julle te toer. Geniet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Stunning foto's! Wou nog altyd lake Malawi gesien het. Het oor dit gevlieg dis massief! Geniet julle updates baie!

    Groete!
    terina

    ReplyDelete